04 September 2020
We ask a cleaning expert to share her secrets for a thoughtful and thorough clean – by Rosanne Peach
The time is nigh to dust off the winter layers in your home and prepare to throw open the doors for entertaining and enjoying the warmer months. We ask Angie Kelso from Platinum Housekeeping in Sydney how it’s done.Sue Stubbs
1. Spray the cloth, not the surface, so you don’t have to spend time wiping off any excess.
2. Work the room and you won’t miss anything. Start at the door and move clockwise around the room, cleaning everything on and against the wall, then clean furniture in the middle of the room.
4. Put a little essential oil on the light globe in a lamp. When it warms up, the scent will spread through the room.
5. Use a lint remover to remove dust on your lampshades and curtains.
6. Vacuum everything – the inside of the fridge, the oven, the toaster and the cutlery drawer.
7. A hair dryer can remove dust from a computer keyboard, the bottom of a handbag and the corner of a cupboard.
When you finish cleaning a room, close the door. Then, when you’ve finished cleaning every room, go back and inspect each one, leaving the door open when you’re happy with the result.
05 September 2017
Being the sun-favoured country we are, it’s Spring rather than Summer that blesses us with the biggest shift in weather and style. And oh boy, are we ready for a style shake-up — maybe it’s all The Block
we’ve been watching.We’re feeling black rather than white to pair with the strong olives greens and blues that started popping up in stores last month, and those velvety finishings are looking fine
with bamboos and linen. This is also prime time to start investing in objets d’art (French for arty objects). No matter what your budget, there’s a gorgeous vase, tray, bottle or trinket with your name on it that will be the perfect finishing touch to any room.
West Elm Carlo Mid-Century Chair, $899
Stockists: West Elm
Dinosaur Designs Art Sand Medium Vase, $195
Ikea Stockholm 2017 Cabinet, $499
Zara Home Multi-Coloured Paisley Print Linen Curtain, $139
Bed Thread Charcoal 100% Flax Linen Bedding Set, From $230
Urban Outfitters No Bad Days Woven Throw Blanket, $124.31
Stockists: Urban Outfitters
Zara Home Irregular Decorative Bone Tray, $39.95
Stockists: Zara Home
H&M Textured-Weave Cushion Cover, $39.99
Freedom Nook Console Table, $799
Country Road Malvi Tea Towel Pack, $ 34.95
Cotton On Home Kapel Print, $59.40
Kip & Co. Electric Blue Velvet Beanbag, $129
Maison Balzac 2067AD, $69
West Elm Linden Mid-Century Wide Shelf Unit, $1,099