Five tips for how to stage a home on a budget
17 October 2017
Are you preparing to sell your home in Perth? Home staging and styling has become a big trend, particularly in this challenging market. Potential buyers will judge your home and form their opinions before they even attend a home open through the online advertisement, so it’s important to make a good first impression.
By making some small but effective changes, your property photos can play an important role in enticing buyers to attend your home open.
Here are five budget friendly tips to help style and stage your home for a sale.
1. De-clutter your space
The first thing you will want to do when listing your property for sale is to de-clutter and throw out or donate any items you do not want following you to your next home. It is also recommended to store away any personal items just for the home open to create a neutral space for potential buyers. This can include:
- Personal photos.
- Artwork on the fridge.
- Letters and bills.
- Toiletries and clothes (keep these neatly packed away in the cupboard or draws).
De-cluttering creates more space and shows off the storage potential of your property, whilst also allowing potential buyers to imagine their own life and personal items inside the house.
2. Clean up
Once you have de-cluttered, it’s a good move to clean your house to ensure it’s presented in the best possible way for photos and home opens. Aside from general tidying and vacuuming, this can also include:
- Cleaning up the outdoor area – trim hedges, clear pathways, lay mulch or pebbles to tidy up garden beds and discard unruly weeds.
- Address any lingering odours – perhaps due to a blocked drain or a pet’s toilet training accident.
- Get your cupboards in order – buyers are going to open draws, cabinets and cupboards, so be sure to neaten things up in there and create the illusion of more space.
- Clean soiled items – such as stains in your carpet and curtains (including your shower curtain), and any other household items.
3. Update your paint colour
You may love that red feature wall in the living room, but it might not be quite to your potential buyers’ taste. The most effective way to style your home is to neutralise your space with lick of paint.
Choose neutral paint colours, such as whites, creams and light greys to freshen up your walls and hide any scuff marks or small chips. You can even go as far as re-painting cupboard doors or tiles to update your kitchen and bathroom.
4. Invest in some on trend décor
Update your décor with some on trend pieces, but be sure to not clutter the space. Small, subtle touches are best, not to mention easier on the budget, and can include:
- A statement rug or hall runner.
- Pillows and throws for your couch.
- Decorative ornaments and artwork, such as a vase with flowers or a trendy print.
Don’t be afraid to add pops of colour as well, especially if you have neutral walls and furniture.
5. Create a welcoming environment
For the home open itself, create a great first impression and a welcoming environment with small touches, such as:
- A scented candle or fresh flowers.
- Relaxing music.
- Ambient, comfortable lighting.
Be mindful of the season as well – perhaps pop on a fan or the air conditioner if it’s a warm day, or light a fire (if you have a working fireplace) to create a cosy atmosphere on rainy winter evening.